Writing with the Stars
Since we don’t have a Red Pencil Thursday volunteer this week, let me tell you about an exciting opportunity for aspiring writers. Kensington Publishing is calling for submissions for their WRITING WITH THE STARS contest!
If you followed last year’s winner, Maeve Greyson, through the labyrinth of voting and elimination rounds, you know this contest requires a gut check. The public critique for the 8 finalists in WRITING WITH THE STARS isn’t as gentle as my Red Pencil scrubbing, but the finalists will have a guide with them to help them through–a mentor from among the ranks of Kensington’s Brava authors. (Yes, I’ll be one of the mentors this year!) And the brass ring is a publishing contract with a wonderful house.
Here’s what you need to know now:
- Kensington wants original romance novellas of 15,000 – 20,000 words.
- The entry must NOT have been published in print or ebook form.
- The sensuality level must be appropriate for the Brava imprint. (The best way to be sure you’re hitting the mark is to read widely in the line you’re targeting!)
- Historical romance, contemporary, paranormal or romantic suspense are all OK!
- The deadline for submission is midnight of August 15, 2011. That means you have time to write the whole novella or polish up the one you’ve already started.
- Be sure to check back here often for details about where to submit. As soon as I hear from my editor about it, I’ll share the link with you.
Once the field is narrowed to 8 finalists, Romantic Times readers will vote each month to decide which of the entries will advance. The winner will be announced at the RT Convention in Chicago next spring. Plan now to join me in the Windy City!
This is a golden opportunity to work with professional writers, publicize your story and win a contract with a New York publisher. It’s a great way to start your writing career!